Rapiers and Rapscallions
A Mysterious Stranger approaches you in a tavern
Okay… I love tropes. I think every D&D campaign should start with the characters meeting up at a tavern. This isn’t D&D though… I think the characters should come into the game with some sort of link.
Here are some ideas.
- If you wanted to do a sea based campaign, well there you go.
- The Captain would get the Ship boon – for free – and everyone else would get an extra boon to fit with their position on the ship’s crew. This would be a good chance for someone to take something medical. “Born Sailor” would be the default. Everyone should have a career in sailor/pirate too.
- You could all belong to the same organization. Everyone would get a free “Membership” boon.
- The game features several “secret societies.” The Templars look promising (basically a bunch of do-gooders.
- You could all be in the employ of some organization.
- You could know one another based on a common career. Everyone would get the Jack of All Trades boon (an extra career and +1 career points) and everyone would have to have the same career in common.
- Maybe you were all slaves of Barbary Pirates and escaped together. Everyone would take the Slave career.
- Maybe you all worked for a criminal mastermind (thief/scoundrel career) until someone made you see the errors of your way.
- There are always backstory links too. If you do it well enough, it might be worth an extra boon or maybe a couple of advancement ponts.
- Two of you are brothers… who rescued the third guy who was lost at sea (marooned by pirates maybe?)… who called upon his old friend (the fourth player) to serve as additional muscle… who knew a guy (the fifth player) who could lead them to the treasure!