Rapiers and Rapscallions
The best thing about the indie game Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies was the section on Swashbuckling tropes. Here’s what the author, Chad Undercoffler, listed:
- Acrobatics & Athletics
- Fencing & Fighting
- True Love
- Deathtraps and Durance Vile
- Killing & Death
- Minions & Lieutenants
He also presents The Five Principles of Swashbuckling which are great:
- If it can be lifted or shifted, it can be used as a weapon.
- If it moves and it can support your weight, it can be used as transportation.
- If it’s opaque or solid, it can be used for hiding behind or protection.
- If a surface is angled and smooth, you can slide down it.
- If you can swing or jump from it, it’s a launching platform.
I think Honor + Intrigue really supports the tropes through the mechanics.